Monday, January 19, 2009

Camera Catch-Up

I keep taking photos of things to post on the blog, and then I never get the chance to actually get the photos off the camera and onto the blog. So here's my catch up of the things I've been meaning to post lately...

I've been doing some cooking with the kids lately. Everything seems to feature peanut butter for some reason. Peanut butter quesadillas were a big hit. Haley has recently decided that she doesn't like cheese quesadillas anymore, but she eats the peanut butter version enthusiastically. Just a couple of leftover tortillas, slap some peanut butter between them (along with some honey for Haley and jelly for Preston). Super easy, but with a vegetable or fruit and some milk to drink, it makes an easy dinner.

We also made peanut butter pizzas. I just used crescent roll dough to bake a quick pizza crust. Then I spread peanut butter on the crust and gave it to the kids along with their "pizza toppings." In this case, they chose to use raisins, blueberries, and miniature marshmallows for the toppings. We cut up the marshmallows to make it look like shredded cheese. The marshmallows aren't so nutritious, but the peanut butter, raisins, and blueberries were pretty good. I added some julienned carrot "fries" on the side. The kids had a great time making their own pizzas, and ate almost every bite.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Our most ambitious peanut butter dinner was Chicken Satay Fried Rice. My parents gave us a really nice wok for Christmas and I wanted to give it a try. I had a recipe for chicken satay that I'd been meaning to make and I had some leftover rice, so I decided to combine them. So I stir-fried some sliced chicken breasts in olive oil with some green onions, soy sauce, and a bit of minced garlic. When the chicken was almost done, I made the peanut sauce:

2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1-2 cloves garlic, minced or chopped
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon brown sugar
juice from half a lemon (can be less, depending on your tastes)

Combine all ingredients and heat in the microwave for about 30-40 seconds (until peanut butter is melted).

I added the cooked rice and the peanut sauce and cooked until everything was warmed through. At the end, I threw in some frozen peas and carrots - a little more nutrition and color. It was yummy! The kids loved it and ate every bite... which is saying a lot as picky as they are lately!

Photobucket

Finally - and this has nothing to do with peanut butter - some pictures of the kids taking advantage of a warm (for January) Saturday afternoon. It was Brekken's first time on the swingset and he really enjoyed it!

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

No comments: