Wednesday, October 12, 2011

This Week in Mormons

I remember when I was a child we would go on family trips and my parents would listen to talk radio. I couldn't understand it. Why on Earth would they want to listen to people talking instead of music? It seemed so boring!

Now, as seems to happen in many ways, I'm turning into my parents. I often decide to listen to someone talking instead of music. I have several podcasts that I download and listen to when I'm walking or driving and I really like listening to the people talk. :)

I thought I'd share one of my favorites, as it's something that might interest a few of you. This Week in Mormons is a podcast by a couple of guys who talk about the news in, around, and relating to the LDS church. They're pretty funny, without being irreverent or mean-spirited. Plus they go to the trouble to research a lot of stories that I'd never hear about otherwise. The news about the Provo tabernacle being converted to a temple? They predicted it weeks before it was announced in General Conference. So when it was announced, I felt very "in the know" when I could just nod and think, Yes. That's what we thought would happen.

The podcasts from this week and last week are a review of General Conference. They go through talk by talk and rehash some of the main points of each talk - with a few random segues along the way (for example, who is the most attractive Church leader? Apparently it's Young Women General President Elaine S. Dalton.)

You can listen to their weekly podcasts at their site: http://thisweekinmormons.com/. Or friend them on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thisweekinmormons. Or download the podcasts on iTunes. However you may do it, I would recommend it. I really enjoy listening to them talk. :)

1 comment:

Wendie said...

I listen almost exclusively to talk radio. I like the brain stimulation much better than music, even it sometimes makes me mad. I'll have to check out this podcast. Thanks for the recommendation!