Thursday, November 8, 2012

J is for Jealous

It's hard to admit, but I am feeling pretty jealous of the Obama supporters right now. I've never really been invested in a presidential election until this year. I've always felt that the vote was basically a choice between the lesser of two evils. I still voted, because I feel it is not just a right but a responsibility to participate in the political process. But frankly, when my chosen candidate did not win, it was not upsetting. While I had a preference, I was okay with the other possibility as well. I consider myself an independent and I'm equally likely to vote for a Republican or a Democrat. (I did vote for Obama in the last election.)

This time was different. I was intrigued at first by the idea of Mitt Romney as a candidate, but I didn't really think it would go anywhere. Then, as election season continued, I became more interested. I realized I liked his economic plans. I liked his stance on a lot of things. And I didn't like the incumbent. I wasn't happy with how things have gone over the last several years. And then the polling showed things growing closer and closer. I started to think maybe Romney had a chance.

I let myself get emotionally invested this year. I really thought maybe my candidate would pull it off. I read the articles on all the news sites. I watched all the debates. I had strong opinions. I was excited to watch the election night coverage and hoping so much that it would turn into a Romney win.

So it was rather crushing when the results didn't come out the way I was hoping. I watched the coverage until Obama was declared the winner and then I went to bed. I was actually depressed by it. And the next day when I saw the news coverage and posts on Facebook about how happy the Obama supporters were, I was jealous. Jealous of their excitement and joy. Wishing it was me!

But. Life moves on. I'm still disappointed. But there's nothing more to be done. We just need to keep moving and do our best. And not be depressed over an election result that can't be changed. I thank my friend Amanda for reminding me of this quote from Gordon B. Hinckley:

"It isn’t as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don’t worry. I say that to myself every morning. It will all work out. If you do your best, it will all work out. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. … If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers."

No comments: