Monday, January 7, 2013

S is for Shrooms

Mushrooms that is. Specifically a new recipe called Crackpot Mushrooms.

Unfortunately, I can't give credit to the person who came up with recipe, because I don't know who she is. While on vacation last week, I was surfing the web one night after the kids were in bed. I was killing time on a website that lets people anonymously send in their stories of horrible manners or ask questions about etiquette and manners. (It's more entertaining than it sounds.) One of the stories was from a woman who had made a big crockpot of a special dish for a party she was hosting, then two guests arrived early and ate the entire crockpot of food before anyone else arrived.

Of course, the number one comment everyone had was to ask for the recipe! So the anonymous poster helpfully shared her recipe for Crackpot Mushrooms, thus called because they're made in the crockpot and seriously addictive.

It sounded good, so I decided to give it a try. I made a crockpot full of mushrooms last night, and between Aaron, Preston, and I, we ate the whole crockpot. :) Of course, we were eating it for dinner and no one expected us to share it with a houseful of guests. (The other people in our household didn't want to share in the mushroom bounty.)

We enjoyed it so much that I thought I ought to share with other mushroom lovers out there.

Crackpot Mushrooms

4 containers (or 2 large), small white button mushrooms

2 sticks butter


2 packages dry Ranch dressing mix

The instructions say to dump it all in the crockpot and cook on medium for 2 hours. My crockpot doesn't happen to have a "medium" setting, so I improvised. I started on low for 1 hour, then gave it a good stir and cooked it on high for another hour. It seemed to work just fine.

As the original poster of the recipe said: "It is pretty freaking good. Even if it will give you a heart attack from all that butter."

She's right. It is pretty freaking good!

No comments: