Thursday, January 10, 2013

T is for Tired

So VERY tired this morning. I'm about to doze off at my desk. Actually, I think I just did doze off at my desk for a minute between the second and third sentences.

Last night, we finally headed for bed shortly before midnight. I think I alseep about 5 minutes after my head hit the pillow. It only took that long because Aaron was talking to me and I was trying to stay awake enough to respond. I slept for a couple of hours before being awakened by Rylen, who has developed a delightful new habit of waking up in the middle of the night ready to play and socialize. So at 3 a.m. he's demanding a drink, playing peek-a-boo, and generally wanting me to wake up and play with him. He's really cute with his smiles and giggles. But I'm not so interested in that, because IT'S 3 A.M.! I'm just too tired.

After what felt like an hour (I have no idea how long it really was because that would require me to be more coherent than I actually am at 3 a.m.), I finally got Rylen settled down again. (Aaron either manages to sleep through most of this many nights or gives a good impression of sleeping through it.) I was just drifting off to sleep again when I feel a little hand tugging at my arm.

This time it's Brekken. He's had a nightmare. He needs a hug. He needs me to help him say a prayer. I help him out with these and try to send him off to bed. But apparently that's too frightening. He needs to sleep at the bottom of my bed. It's not worth fighting him over it, because I just want to go back to sleep. So I settle him down by my feet - where he is cold. And he needs my blanket.

Fine. I don't care. I may shiver a little, but at least I can go back to sleep. For about 30 minutes, because it's almost time for my alarm to start going off. *sigh*

I fall asleep and dream that I am calling in sick to work. It's very convincing. So much so that when my alarm rings, I turn it off. After all, I've already called in sick. No reason to get up when I'm still so sleepy. I slept for almost another hour before I woke up enough to realize what had happened, dragged myself out of bed and into work, and now I'm sitting here at my desk trying to wake myself up enough to accomplish something today. So far, not a huge success. I've dozed off several times in the course of writing this post.

It's days like this that I kind of wish I drank coffee.

No comments: