Thursday, February 10, 2011

It could have been such a touching moment...

I love the Bruno Mars song "Just the Way You Are." (If you haven't heard it, click here.) From the first time I heard it, it made me think of my daughter Haley. She's beautiful, she's wonderful. In the words of the song, she is amazing, just the way she is.

So a couple of days ago, we were in the car together, just the two of us. The song came on the radio and I told Haley that I really love the song because it made me think of her. She listened to it, then asked me why it made me think of her. I told her that it was because I wanted her to realize that she is incredible and amazing.

In my head, the next thing to come would be a touching moment where she was empowered by realizing that she is wonderful just as she is. There would probably be a big hug. Maybe even a sentimental tear or two.

In reality, she said: "Huh. That's kind of weird."

The touching moment then degenerated into a round of "You're weird." "No, you're weird." Followed by a rousing chorus of "You're a weird-o... just the way you are."

6 comments:

Mistaken said...

lol! That's just the kind of think that would happen with my kids! I'm sure they get the message!

Betsy said...

That's awesome! Being called a weirdo in our house in akin to being called honey or dear!

(visiting from Mama Kat's-- I love your songversation!)

RedWriter said...

Love it. Aren't kids classic. I will never be able to listen to this song again now without a little lyric change ha ha. :) xx

May said...

But some day she will get it. She may not ever tell you so you just have to believe that it will happen! :-)

mryjhnsn said...

This is the kind of thing that happens to me on a daily biases even when not trying! Great post :)

Jill of all Trades said...

Visiting from Mama Kat -
But it sounds like you DID have that awesome mother-daughter moment. Just not with hugs and tears.
There's an sappy, sad old song about lost love, "Walking in the Sand"...my dad would always ruit it my making a goofy noise everytime it came on. I'm 34 and I still think of his goofy noise when I hear it.
I bet your girl will think of your silly car ride every time she hears that song now!