Thursday, August 5, 2010

Family Time x 2

We got to have a double dose of family time this week, since we went to visit my family and then straight on to Aaron's family!

We went to Vernal first for a Schurz family reunion. This is my Dad's side of the family. This year we were in charge, so we've spent the last while planning meals and games and other entertainment. We had a picnic at the park with lots of water games for the kids. Technically, the water games were supposed to be for everyone, but the adults were mostly spoilsports and wouldn't come out to play in the water. Hooray for my Dad who was one of the few grown-ups to play in the water. He got soaked in the water fight that followed the more organized games. But hey, it was almost 100 degrees out - the water felt great! The other adults should have joined in.

We had crockpots full of pulled pork for the main meal. My sisters cooked that up and it was delicious. Sadly (for them!) quite a few people ended up leaving before the dinner, so we had a lot of meat left over. Enough that we decided we could freeze it and then feed it to the Fletcher reunion coming up next weekend! I'm all for conservation of effort... no need to cook again for the next reunion.

Even though it was only a short time since we saw my family for the Wardle reunion, it was so nice to see them again. And fun to see the extended family that I rarely get to visit with.

On Sunday we headed out to Roy to visit Aaron's parents. We spent Monday just relaxing around the house. That made a nice break after the busy time organizing the reunion! On Tuesday we went to the zoo. It was almost 100 degrees again, so I must admit that the zoo wasn't my first choice. I don't deal well with the heat when I'm pregnant and it made me feel pretty sick. But the kids had a great time with Grandpa & Grandma and their cousins.

While we were at the zoo, Haley lost her first tooth! She had only noticed it was loose the day before. While we were eating lunch, she said it was really hard to eat with her loose tooth. Then suddenly held her hand out to me with the loose tooth. It came out so quick and easy. The tooth fairy hasn't visited yet, since we've been away from home. But I believe tonight the tooth fairy will be stopping by our house.

On our way home yesterday, we detoured through Logan, UT. Aaron and I went to school there and it's where we met. It's been a long time since either of us has been back. We had a good time showing the kids some of the places where we had lived and gone to classes. They got a kick out of the Golden Toaster (nickname for the church building where we used to attend meetings). We stopped for some Aggie ice cream and we all really enjoyed that.

It was a long drive home from there. I don't know why it's always so much longer on the way home than on the way there... it doesn't just FEEL that way, it really is longer. We finally arrived home around 1 a.m. And once we got things hauled in from the car, kids to bed, etc. it was after 2 a.m. It made it awfully hard to get up when my alarm started going off a little after 5 a.m.! (Actually, I didn't manage to get up until 6, so I missed the bus. But I did enjoy that extra hour of sleep!)

No comments: