Monday, May 2, 2011

Party in the USA

Like most everyone else in the U.S.A. last night we saw the news last night about Osama bin Laden. When they first broke in with the "Breaking News" banner, we started speculating about what it could be. Something tragic like a plane crash? Something worrisome like an escalation of the conflicts in the Middle East? Something not truly newsworthy like Donald Trump announcing an election bid?

We definitely didn't expect the announcement of Osama bin Laden's death. To tell the truth, he's really fallen off the radar for me lately. I'm sure he's been doing things behind the scenes that I'm just not aware of, but since he hasn't been front and center in the news recently, I'd kind of forgotten about his existence.

Now that I've been reminded of his existence and his actions over the course of his life, I am very glad to have him no longer out there plotting against the U.S.A. I worry about what others in his organization might plan - either as retaliation or as a way of showing that they're still as big and bad as ever.

One thing I don't understand is the partying in the streets after the announcement. Like I said, I'm glad he is no longer heading up Al Qaeda. I don't have a problem at all with Special Forces taking him out, because it seems like something that had to be done to neutralize the threat he posed. But the fact is that no matter how evil he was, he was still a human being at the core of it. And it feels wrong to me to celebrate the death of any human being.

So I didn't join in any partying in the streets. Though Aaron and I joked that if we were truly patriotic we would roust the kids out of bed and head down to the Colorado capitol building with our American flag. And then we went to bed instead. ;D

No comments: