Friday, July 22, 2011

Eat, Papa, eat! Nobody likes a skinny Santa!

Bonus points if you can name the movie my title quote is from. :)

Just as we've suspected, Preston is just not growing like he should. He had his annual check-up yesterday and his height is actually ok (though still in that 5th percentile), but he's just too skinny. He's fallen off the end of the growth curve there.

So we were sent home with a list of high-calorie foods and instructions to really feed him up for the next 8 weeks. (*sigh* I never get those instructions from MY doctor!) After a weight check in 8 weeks we'll see if things have improved and hopefully avoid having to move on to a bunch of labs and tests. I'd sure like to avoid that if possible!

I just don't know, though. One of the doc's instructions was to not let him graze all day - follow scheduled mealtimes and snack times so he'll eat more at meals. Yep, already doing that & he still doesn't eat at meals. It's not that he's picky. He'll eat most things. But he eats two bites and decides he's had enough.

And the list of high-calorie foods? Mostly stuff he already eats on a regular basis. But hopefully if we're really intentional about having him eat those things he can gain some weight in the next couple of months. Wish us luck with that.

On a completely unrelated side note - posted this from my iPhone on the bus. Love this phone! Thanks to those who advised me to get it. You were totally right!

4 comments:

Tera said...

;) love my iPhone too! And as far as Preston goes? Is he meeting his milestones? I would think as long as he is, weight doesn't matter as much, does it? Some kids ate just small? Aaron isn't a big guy. I hope the doc can either figure out what needs to happen or Preston will start eating! Maybe whipping cream in his cereal!

taradon said...

The reason for the concern is that while his height has increased a little from last year, his weight is actally down a little, dropping him off the growth curve and making him quite underweight. But he is still smart and energetic and meeting his milestones, which is why she's willing to try feeding him up some before we move on to testing.

Druciana said...

I know! I know! Santa Clause is Coming to Town!

I went trough similar stuff with Eric. I learned that Carnation Instant Breakfast gave him more calories and nutrients with his milk. The WIC office recommended it, and he liked getting to have chocolate milk at least once a day. I would just buy the can of it and mix it like I would Quik. Hope that helps. :)

taradon said...

*ding, ding, ding! If there was a prize, you would win it, Rosa. :)

Glad to hear the Carnation Instant Breakfast worked well for Eric. We've started giving that to Preston, so hopefully it will help!