Wednesday, November 25, 2009

I Can't Wait!

We're going to visit my family in Utah for Thanksgiving and I'm really looking forward to it. Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays. I have so many good memories of Thanksgiving with my family.

We haven't been to too many family Thanksgivings since we moved to Colorado because it seems like weather always interferes. I'm always disappointed when we don't get to go. So I'm thrilled that the weather looks nice and clear for this year and we're going to go!

We have a pretty large family, so there was never room for everyone at anyone's house for Thanksgiving dinner. Instead, we had dinner at the church cultural hall. In blatant disobedience of the signs instructing us that the kitchen was for warming and serving food, not preparing food, we would make potatoes and stuffing and crescent rolls and pies. So many pies! We always go overboard with the pies. Sometimes it seems like there are so many pies that we could have one to a person.

We did usually cook the turkey(s) at someone's house and then bring it to the church. Except for the year that Grandma's oven malfunctioned and after hours of "cooking" the turkey was completely uncooked. That year dinner was really late, since we had to finish the turkey at the church.

I remember so many games of ruthless basketball. If the game didn't end with a semi-serious injury for someone, it was just no fun at all. And when the crowds of family got to be too much, you could always find an empty room perfect for a nap or reading a good book.

I don't know if we'll be at the church this year. Between the remodeling at Mom's house that provides more room for everyone, and family members who aren't going to Vernal for Thanksgiving this year making the group smaller, we may not need that much room. But even so, I'm sure it will be great!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Sounds great! Hope you are having a fabulous time. Happy Thanksgiving!