Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Swine Flu Saga Continues

Back on Friday - while I was at the hospital with Preston - I started coming down with a runny, sneezy nose. I called Aaron to bring me cold medicine so I could mask the symptoms, because there was a big sign in Preston's room that said visitors who were ill would be asked to leave and not come back until they were recovered. I wasn't going to let them kick me out while Preston was there in the hospital, so I very carefully covered up my drippy, sneezy nose. I didn't have much of a cough or anything, so I figured I was coming down with a cold. After all, I was well outside of the window that the pediatrician had predicted for anyone else in the family developing swine flu.

Yesterday (Monday) I woke up feeling awful. Coughing, sneezing, muscle aches, headache, throwing up, fever and chills, the whole lovely ball of wax. Since it just got worse and worse throughout the day, I finally called the doctor last night and got an appointment for first thing this morning. Sure enough, it's swine flu. Had I gone to the doctor back when I first developed symptoms, they could have given me Tamiflu to shorten the duration of the illness. However, I was a bit busy at that point. And now it's too far into the illness. Tamiflu won't help any more. So the only advice they could give was to take Tylenol and ibuprofen, drink lots of fluids and get plenty of rest. Oh, and stay home all week. Because I really need to miss more work at this point.

Thankfully, the Relief Society president arranged for some meals to be brought in this week. That's been a big help so far and will continue to help take at least that much off my plate!

So I think I said it before, but it bears repeating... get your H1N1 vaccination!

2 comments:

Tera said...

I am so sorry to hear you are sick. It sounds miserable. I really believe that mom's should not be allowed to be sick. I hope you recover quickly.

Katie said...

I hope you get a short bout of it-- your family has had enough of this already!