Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Back to Work

After being stuck at home for 6 weeks on bed rest, I really thought that by the time my maternity leave ended I would be very ready to get back to work. After all, I love my job and the people I work with, and I've been away from all that for a long time.

Sadly, that wasn't the case. As I got closer and closer to the end of maternity leave, I realized that I was NOT ready for it to end. I just loved all that time I got to spend with Rylen. I liked being home on Thursday and Friday when Aaron was off work. It was nice to get to spend days together as a family - which normally we only get on Sundays. I liked being able to stay awake past 10 p.m. since I didn't have to be up at the crack of dawn to get ready for work.

But all good things must come to an end. In this case, because if I didn't go back to work they would stop paying me! The week before my maternity leave ended, I went into the office one day so that my co-workers could see Rylen. It was a nice reminder to me of how much I really do like the people I work with - which in turn reminded me that I would be okay when it was time to go back to work.

I went back to work on Monday morning - which coincided with 8-10 inches of snow for the metro area. I kept hoping that the storm would either not materialize as predicted, or be even worse than predicted so that they would call a snow day for work. Instead we got the worst of both worlds, when we got enough snow for SCHOOL to call a snow day, but not enough for WORK to call a snow day. Daycare for the boys was fine, since they go to a friend's house just a few blocks away. She doesn't close for snow days. But Haley goes to a school-based daycare, and when the school closes for snow, so does the daycare. Luckily Aaron's work is very family-friendly and understanding, so Haley went to work with him for the day. She was a little bored, but mostly enjoyed getting to spend the day with her dad. She was also reminded of her recent obsession with learning to play guitar - specifically the pink, sparkly one with rhinestone-studded strap that she spotted on display at the store. :)

I made it to work after only 1 1/2 hours on the road :\ Stupid snow.

And it was fine. People were glad to see me again. And I was glad to see them again. I have lots of work waiting for me, but that just means that I am needed here. I miss my baby and my other kids, but I know they're in good hands. It will be okay... eventually.

1 comment:

Druciana said...

It took me an hour and a half to get to work on Monday too! Yuck!
I'm glad you like were you work. I'm sure it makes it a bit easier to have to leave the baby when he is so little.