Sunday, January 16, 2011

I'm #2!

We've been married for almost 10 years now, and doing the dishes has pretty much always been my job. About half the time - maybe more - Aaron emptied the dishwasher and then I filled it up again with the dirty dishes.

While I was on bed rest, Aaron had to take over doing the dishes (along with everything else he took on). After Rylen was born, Aaron still got around to doing the dishes before I got to them most of the time. I marveled at how thoughtful he was, to keep on doing the dishes because he could tell I was tired from taking care of the baby.

A few nights ago, we were in the kitchen and I thanked him for doing the dishes so often lately. He said "you're welcome" and then hesitated a moment.

"The truth is," he said, "I'm better at it than you are."

Turns out, he doesn't really approve of my (admittedly) haphazard method of throwing dishes into the dishwasher any which way they fit. And I don't load the silverware properly in the utensil basket. And I don't do a load of dishes often enough. I don't really disagree with any of that. When I do dishes, I'm usually squeezing the chore in between other things and I'm just focused on doing it as quickly as possible.

Since Aaron is better at it, he decided he was going to take over this particular job. So when it comes to doing dishes around here, I'm #2.

And you know what? I'm just fine with that!

1 comment:

Mistaken said...

woohoo. hooray for being #2!