Monday, March 25, 2013

Tell Me a Story

One of my favorite blogs (Rants from Mommyland) had a very interesting post this morning. It was all about whether you have shared your life stories with your children. Thinking about it, I have shared some things, but mostly we're so busy with the day-to-day stuff that I just haven't told them a lot of stories about our past. So I'm accepting the Rants from Mommyland challenge to tell my stories... by which I mean, I'm going to blog about them. :)

This really isn't a way to avoid actually talking to my kids. Rather, it's a way to make sure I remember to share these things! If I put it on the blog, then I have it written down... at the very least it becomes part of my personal history when I publish a copy of the blog as my journal each year. Plus Haley likes to read the blog. So when she reads these posts, it can serve as the conversation starter with the kids.

I guess I just assumed that I'd probably blogged about this stuff in the past, but looking through the list, I was surprised to realize there's a lot of past history stuff I've never blogged about. In fact, there's only one item I can cross off the list! For the sake of sharing with my kids, there's a lot to catch up on. Here's the list:

The 20 Questions on the Do You Know scale.1. Do you know how your parents met? (see August 11, 2011)
2. Do you know where your mother grew up?
3. Do you know where your father grew up?
4. Do you know where some of your grandparents grew up?
5. Do you know where some of your grandparents met?
6. Do you know where your parents were married?
7. Do you know what went on when you were being born?
8. Do you know the source of your name?
9. Do you know some things about what happened when your brothers or sisters were being born?
10. Do you know which person in your family you look most like?
11. Do you know which person in the family you act most like?
12. Do you know some of the illnesses and injuries that your parents experienced when they were younger?
13. Do you know some of the lessons that your parents learned from good or bad experiences?
14. Do you know some things that happened to your mom or dad when they were in school?
15. Do you know the national background of your family (such as English, German, Russian, etc)?
16. Do you know some of the jobs that your parents had when they were young?
17. Do you know some awards that your parents received when they were young?
18. Do you know the names of the schools that your mom went to?
19. Do you know the names of the schools that your dad went to?
20. Do you know about a relative whose face "froze" in a grumpy position because he or she did not smile enough?

Have you shared these stories with your kids?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.