Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Lifting My Sprirt

A friend included me on a little chain letter recently. I usually kind of ignore those, but this time I chimed in because the topic was to share an inspiring quote, poem, or message. And I have two favorite bits that I use to lift myself up when I am having a rough time and I thought I could share them. 
The first is a reminder on the true nature of prayer:

"Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other. The object of prayer is not to change the will of God but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant but that are made conditional on our asking for them. Blessings require some work or effort on our part before we can obtain them. Prayer is a form of work and is an appointed means for obtaining the highest of all blessings." (from the Bible dictionary - https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bd/prayer?lang=eng&letter=p)
When I feel like my prayers are going unanswered, I re-read this passage as a reminder that the answer to prayer is not always immediate!

And the second is a reminder of God's love:

"But behold, the Lord hath redeemed my soul from hell; I have beheld his glory, and I am encircled about eternally in the arms of his love." (from the Book of Mormon - https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/2-ne/1.15?lang=eng#14)

I love the imagery of being held, loved, and protected in the arms of the Lord. It helps me feel that I can overcome whatever difficulties have come my way.

What are your favorite bits of inspiration and comfort?

No comments: