Monday, August 3, 2009

Quality Time

It has occurred to me that I don't make enough effort to just enjoy my kids. It seems like when I get home from work we immediately launch into dinner and chores or baths or whatever else is planned for the night. And I always have such a hard time getting anything done, because the kids are following me around and clinging. But maybe it's just that they want some attention from me after being separated all day.

So I need to make an effort to have some quality time with the kids as soon as we get home. This week, I'm going to give it a shot. Every day, when we walk in the door, I'm not going to immediately launch into my to-do list. Instead, I'm going to sit down with my kids and listen to them talk about their day. I'm going to give them my attention. I think that if I give them that focused attention for a bit, then they'll be more settled and able to go off and play while I get to the things I need to do. And I think we'll all enjoy it.

2 comments:

Tera said...

Isn't it so hard to find the balance? Even with being home all day with my kids, I'd have to admit I don't spend as much time with them as I should. There are always "to-do's" that require my attention. It is great that you are recongizing this and trying to find a way to balance your life!

Druciana said...

That is a really good idea. Kids don't really understand that Mommy/Daddy may need time to relax when they get home. All they know is that they miss them.