Saturday, March 6, 2010

I Got a $70 Haircut


And it was fan-freaking-tastic! I have frankly never understood why people would pay so much for a haircut. I usually consider it a splurge if I go to the place in Brighton that charges around $30 for a haircut instead of the usual $15 at Great Clips.

But I had a gift card for the Brown Palace Spa - a very posh place in downtown Denver. It was about to expire and I certainly didn't want it to go to waste. And I'd badly needed a haircut for about the last six months. So I decided that I would use my gift card for a hair cut at the spa and salon... even though the $70 cost at the Brown Palace Spa is certainly more than I've ever paid for a haircut.

It was wonderful. They pampered me thoroughly and it was great. I was so relaxed by the time I was done. The stylist even decided that she should straighten my hair before cutting so she could be really sure to get everything evened out (hard to tell with curls). I've never seen my hair this straight! I love it. I can't stop running my fingers through it.

Of course, my darling husband told me it looked "odd." And he could maybe "get used to it." So he's not as thrilled by it as I am. Then again, he's not the one who has tried and tried and tried to straighten this hair for many years. But Preston told me I looked like a "rock star mommy," so I guess he liked it a little better.

Oh well, "odd" or "rock star," it won't last long. A few days at most before I have to give in and wash my hair and all of this beautiful straight hair will revert to its usual curls. Hopefully I like the haircut just as much when it's curly! Because although I love the look when it's straight, I know that I'm not going to go to the time or trouble to try and straighten it myself on a regular basis. For one thing, I just don't have the time every morning to do that. For another, I don't have the right tools. And finally, I just don't have the 3-4 extra arms that I think I would need to do a decent job of it!

So while the new look won't last for long, I'll enjoy it for a few days. And I'll enjoy the memories of the nice evening at the spa for quite a bit longer. And for future reference, I will be accepting Brown Palace gift certificates for any and all gift-giving occasions. ;)

3 comments:

Tera said...

It looks wonderful! This is one of those times when paying more is really worth it!

Melissa said...

Well, I really really really like it. Perhaps you can try to re-create? Very cute.

CSwain said...

I love it!