Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Cravings

I've never had any really strange pregnancy cravings. A few here and there... I want a pizza, I want hash browns... but nothing too overwhelming. Usually it's much more about the pregnancy aversions for me. From the moment I get pregnant, I cannot STAND eating chicken or eggs. There are other things that I tend to avoid, but chicken and eggs are the big things.

This time around, I have the same aversions I've had every time, but I am dealing with a lot more cravings. Something will pop into my head and I just fixate on it. I can't think of anything else that I want and I'm just obsessed. The other night it was French Onion soup. I don't know why. I've maybe eaten French Onion soup 3 or 4 times in my life. But I wanted it SO badly. It was 10:00 at night and I'm trying to figure out how to get some. Or failing that, to make some. Of course, I had no ingredients. So disappointing.

But by far the strangest pregnancy craving I've ever had would be my urge to drink whiteboard cleaner. I don't know what it it, but every time I see those bottles of whiteboard cleaner (which are all over the office) I just want it. I don't know what I think it's going to taste like. I can smell the rubbing alcohol in it, so it's not like it smells delicious and appetizing to me. And it's just clear like water, so nothing exciting there. But if I can see it, it just obsesses me. All I can think about is drinking it. I have to get up and move the bottle to the other side of the room where I can't see it. Bizarre.

6 comments:

Amy said...

I had aversions with Addy, cravings with Trevor. With Trevor I wanted Doritos and Grape soda. I drink grape soda about once every ten years, but I really wanted it when I was pregnant. So I can totally understand.

Druciana said...

I can't say I ever had that kind of craving. I wonder what causes non-food cravings like that.

Melissa said...

I have a major chicken aversion with each pregnancy, esp. earlier in the pregnancy. My strangest cravings were with Lucas. I craved ice 24/7, and literally chewed ice all day long for months. I thought Brian was going to dis-own me. And I too craved cleaning products, of all sorts. I'd be cleaning and would have to practically restrain myself from just turning and spraying a bit into my mouth. It was a super strong craving, if not strange. And I wanted to lick tires. Bizarre what all those hormones do for you!

Tera said...

Melissa and Tara,

You guys sound like you have Pica when you are pregnant. It will make you crave dirt or cleaning products. It will make you want to eat the gunk under a tire well or chew ice. It sounds scary but it's easily fixable. All it is is an iron deficiency. Ask your doctor. I'm sure he can prescribe exactly the vitamin you need. My friend Sarah had Pica during all of her pregnancies and didn't every get it diagnosed until her fourth one. But, with the others she said as soon as the baby was delivered it went away. You'd hate to have to deal with it through your whole pregnancy though. Just a thought....

taradon said...

@ Melissa - At least you're almost done with it all this time around. Only 2 weeks to go!

@Tera - Thanks! I knew it was pica and was planning to mention it at my next doc appointment, but I didn't realize there was actually anything they could do about it. I just figured I'd have to put up with it until November. Good to know there may be a solution.

Heidi said...

WOW! that is crazy! really whiteboard cleaner? I have NEVER heard that before.