Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Feeling Blue

I just got the news that my Grandpa has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. They're still running more tests to see how far it's spread and how bad it is. Even without complete knowledge of what he's facing, just hearing that dreaded word - CANCER - sends a chill through me. I don't want to think about the possibility of losing my Grandpa.

This doesn't come as a complete surprise. When Grandpa was so sick a short while ago and had to be rushed to Salt Lake City for treatment, they suspected prostate cancer. But suspecting and knowing for sure are different things. When it's just a suspicion, you can put it away and not think about it. Once it's confirmed, it's a different story. You have to think about it. "What stage is it?" "How will they treat it?" "What's next for him?" "What's next for all of us?"

I adore my Grandpa. A collection of random memories of Grandpa:

I grew up living next door to Grandma and Grandpa. I spent the night at their house many, many times. I would stay up late and watch M*A*S*H with Grandpa.

Growing up, we almost always had Sunday dinner at Grandma & Granpa's house - I remember Grandpa always sat at the head of the table. He loves horseradish. He would put it on all kinds of things. Even things that no one else would think to put it on. Thinking back, I think sometimes he did it just to get a reaction from us kids.

Grandpa always has baling twine on hand. He can use it to fix about anything. If we ever come across anything jury-rigged with that bright orange twine, we know Grandpa has been there.

Grandpa gave me my first kitten. A little black ball of fur that I named George in honor of my Grandpa. When that kitten ran away (or something - I was really young and I don't remember exactly what happened), Grandpa got me another black kitten. Which I named George. From that time on, I've always had a black cat named George.

Grandpa's birthday is always celebrated at the Reunion over July 4 weekend. It's always nice to have a chance to see him for his birthday and celebrate. He doesn't really like it when we make a big deal over him, but we do it anyway. I guess this year's celebration will be extra special.


2 comments:

Melissa said...

So sorry to hear it! Brian and I have talked a lot about how we're getting to that age where our grandparents might not be around a lot longer, and it's so sad. He sounds like a good man.

Tera said...

I am so sorry to hear about year Grandpa. It was heartbreaking when my Grandpa passed away, his name was George as well! Every time I see an old man I always think of him and I still miss him. Getting old is hard, for everyone involved. Enjoy your time with him.