Sunday, March 27, 2011

30 Posts: Day 12

Day 12: A picture of something you love.



This is my Grandma and Grandpa (my mom's parents) recently and on their wedding day. I adore my Grandma and Grandpa. I've been lucky to always have them as a big part of my life. For most of my growing-up years, we lived right next door to them. It was a 2 minute walk across the field to go to Grandma's house. I got to spend the night there frequently - which was a treat because Grandma and Grandpa let me stay up late and watch M.A.S.H. with them. And in the morning Grandma would make me a breakfast shake - with ice cream and Shaklee vitamin powder. Since I didn't develop my pathological dislike for all supplements until later in life, this was quite a treat!

We used to go to Sunday dinner at Grandma's house every week. I always looked forward to that. And the best times of the year were Reunion - where we went camping with Grandma and Grandpa (and assorted other relatives) for a week, and Thanksgiving - when all of the kids and grandkids got together. Early on we had to start having Thanksgiving dinner at the church because we couldn't all fit in anyone's house. And that was before we started adding spouses and great-grandkids to the mix!
Once I went to college, Grandma and Grandpa were always sure to come say goodbye as I was getting ready to go back to school (after a visit home). I so clearly remember my Grandpa telling me every time, "Don't drive to fast. Even if those other drivers are going fast, you don't have to. 50 is plenty fast enough." Since the speed limit was 55 minimum and 65 in many places, I didn't stick to 50 m.p.h., and I got back to Logan much faster than Grandma and Grandpa thought I should. I would call home and let Mom & Dad know I'd arrived safely, and then Mom would wait another hour or two before calling Grandma to let her know.
I'm so glad we decided to go to Vernal for Rylen's blessing so that we could have my Grandma and Grandpa there for it!

1 comment:

The Wright Family said...

So fun to read about your experience with your grandparents...mine was so similar...I would walk to mine also, and sleeping over so I could watch MASH. LOL- Good memories- I so appreciate that we could play outside for hours without supervision...I don't dare let my child go outside without me-