Monday, July 13, 2009

"The X and Y of Buy" by Elizabeth Pace

Here's another book review post for the Thomas Nelson Book Review Blogger program (http://brb.thomasnelson.com/). This time I'm reviewing The X and Y of Buy by Elizabeth Pace.

Summary
This book is about the different ways that men and women think when it comes to things like shopping, buying, and choosing various consumer goods. It provides lots of specific recommendations for ways to sell to men vs. selling to women.

My Reactions
Well, I chose this book from the list because I thought it would be an interesting look at the differences between men and women. Kind of like Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus with a shopping twist. And I guess that's kind of true, but I am just really not the intended audience for this book. The book is really for hardcore salespeople and marketing professionals. I think that those people would find the book valuable. But for someone just looking for an interesting read, it didn't hit the mark for me. I found the writing style dry and textbook-like. It very much took me back to my college days and I really felt I had to plow through the material to finish the book. The illustrations and tables were small, black-and-white, and didn't grab my attention.

Overall, I would only recommend this book to a serious marketing or sales professional. Otherwise, I don't think you'll enjoy it or gain much from reading it.

No comments: