Friday, November 13, 2009

Wickedly Perfect... or would that be Perfectly Wicked?

It was a perfect day. At work, I finished up the Guidelines project and got it finalized for the printer (for the second time, but hey, who's counting?). That was a happy moment.

When I got home, my sweet mother-in-law had marshalled the troops and cleaned my house. It's been sadly neglected over these past weeks dealing with all the illnesses we've had. It badly needed a good cleaning. Thank you, Bonnie! My great father-in-law had also been busy... replacing light bulbs, fixing a wobbly dining chair and table... all those little maintenance tasks we haven't gotten to lately. Thank you, Larry!

When it was time to go to the show, the kids waved us off with hardly a quiver. After all, they got to play with Grandma and Grandpa - they didn't need us! Actually, they did better without us. For Grandma and Grandpa they behaved themselves and actually went to bed and to sleep the way they're supposed to!

Wicked was incredible. It was everything I hoped it would be. We had good seats - 2nd row of the balcony. So we were too far away to really see faces, but we could see everyting that was going on. Besides, sometimes sitting up too close is over-rated... For Jekyll and Hyde we sat in the 2nd row and that was too close. When you're close enough to watch the actors spit as they sing, it takes away some of the magic! ;)

Glinda was played by an understudy last night, but she was VERY good. I can't imagine enjoying the regular actress any more than I enjoyed the understudy. Interestingly, the part of the Wizard of Oz was played by Larry from Three's Company (Richard Kline). A bit unexpected, and I'm a little disappointed at the lack of a 70's pantsuit, but he was very good also.

The whole production was great. I loved the music, the characters, the subtle little jokes that were worked in. I enjoyed the story of the musical much more than the one in the original book... the book is a bit dark, and the musical lightens it up some. And of course, it provides a happy ending! Maybe a happy ending isn't required, but I like it. :)

I'm so glad I finally got to see the show - and so glad that after all the waiting and my excitement, it was as wonderful as I hoped it would be. Thank you, Aaron for knowing how much I wanted to see it and getting the tickets!!

6 comments:

MEGAN said...

so glad you liked it. it is my favorite musical of all time. sounds like you had a great day.

Druciana said...

What? No pantsuit? How dare he? lol

It sounds like a great day/night. Grandparents are magical, I think. Kids are much better behaved for them.

Tera said...

And I am so glad you were healthy enough to go!

Jewel Allen said...

Sounds wonderful, Tara. Hey, I remember Richard Kline! I tried reading the book and couldn't get into it, but I heard the musical is superb.

How nice of your in-laws to fix up your place, too. :-)

taradon said...

Jewel - I agree, the book was hard to get into. I don't think I ever finished it because I just didn't like it that much. The musical is wonderful, though!

Melissa said...

So glad you had such a fabulous time! I haven't seen Wicked, but have heard so many amazing reviews. What nice in-laws to do so much!