Monday, April 26, 2010

Things like this just aren't supposed to happen...

I know that we're lucky to live in a time and place where having a baby means you just go to the hospital, stay a day or so, and then come home with a new baby. The vast majority of the time, it goes smoothly and mom and baby have no problems. I guess that's why it feels so shocking when it doesn't happen that way.

Last week, one of our ward members went to the hospital to have her baby. She posted on Facebook the night before that it was almost time. A bunch of us sent good wishes and were excited for her. A couple of days later, I went searching for her on Facebook to see if there were any baby pictures posted yet. I was stunned to find out what was going on.

Apparently she had such bad bleeding after delivery that they ended up having to do an emergency hysterectomy. They've had to do a total of three surgeries now to control the blood loss. As a result of all the trauma and blood loss, she's having major heart problems. She's in critical condition in the ICU.

It's just so hard to believe that such a joyous occasion has gone so wrong. I feel so bad for her and her family. I can't even imagine what they're all going through. The bright side is that the baby is just fine. She is already home from the hospital in fact. And thankfully there are friends and family to help with all the kids - including this brand new one - while she is in the hospital.

I keep praying that everything will come out all right and that she can go home to her family soon.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

This story sounds an awful lot like the story one of my FB friends has been posting about her sister... I wonder if it's the same story??? Scary!