Friday, November 18, 2011

Free at last...

I commented in my last post that I feel like I have been pregnant or breastfeeding for the last 8 years. And for all that time, I've been a working mom. Which means that along with breastfeeding comes pumping.

I hate pumping. I hate hooking myself up to the pump like a cow in a milking station. I hate how much time it takes. I hate having to schedule my day around it. I hate that I have to paper over my office window to have privacy while I pump because it makes my office feel closed off and claustrophobic. I hate that even with all the time, effort, and money (I have tried a LOT of different pumps over the years - and they are pricey!), I still can't pump enough to avoid supplementing with formula. (Mind you, I'm not one who thinks that formula is inherently bad. I'm fine with formula on a philosophical level. But it's really expensive!)

But because I'm trying to do my best as a working mom, I keep pumping. I set a date for myself: "If I can just keep pumping until he's one, I'll be successful." And then I would give myself permission to quit. And guess who will turn one on Monday? That's right, hard as it is to believe, it's already been a year since our little sweetheart was born. And it's a bittersweet thought. My baby... my last baby... and he's turning one already.

So while I'll keep nursing him morning and night as long as he's interested (well, within reason... I'm not going to be one of those moms nursing a 5-year-old), I have officially just finished my last pumping session. I am free from the tyranny of the pumping schedule! I no longer have to attach myself to the milking machine! (Though it is a really nice pump - anyone looking to buy a double-electric Medela Pump In Style?) I don't have to cart home little baggies of milk each night - always hoping that I remember to put them away in the fridge when I get home. (Because there's nothing worse than going to the effort to pump, and then wasting the milk.) I am free!!

And now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go tear the paper off my office window.

5 comments:

Rachael M said...

How much would you want for that pump? We think we will have one more child, and since I have only successfully nursed one of my three on a long-term basis, it would be nice to have a double pump as an option. I have a single pump, but that really isn't helpful in those early days if you're having a problem. I had to rent with both of my first two, and had to buy the attachments for two different kinds. But I still don't own a pump that works with either!

taradon said...

It looks like a used one goes for about $75 on eBay. Still quite a deal since a new one is more like $300. Let me know if you're interested... It's a really good pump. I went through about 6 different ones before I got this one and this is the first one that worked as well as the hospital rentals.

pump coseptic said...

i know i’m a little off topic, but i just wanted to say i love the layout of your blog. i’m new to the blogegine platform, so any suggestions on getting my blog looking nice would be appreciated.
septic tank alpharetta

Tera said...

I think you are amazing. Not many people nurser for longer than a year let alone nurse, pump, and work. From one nurser of kids past a year to another, keep up the good work. This time goes all to fast and you'll miss it when it's gone. But hooray for no more pumping! I can only imagine how free you must feel!

MJ said...

CONGRATS!!! I totally know how you feel. The days when I forgot to put the milk in the fridge (once I forgot for the WHOLE WEEKEND), I usually cried.

Formula is ridiculously expensive, and that is the number one reason why I nursed my kids.

My oldest lost interest about 16 months, but I cut my youngest off at 20 months. I just got tired of waking up every night!