Thursday, March 8, 2012

Mmmmm... Corn Chowder!

Tonight I asked the kids what they wanted for dinner and they asked for clam chowder. I had no canned chowder on hand and no clams in the pantry to make it myself. Not to mention, I've never made clam chowder before, so it's not like I know what I'm doing.

On the other hand, my mother makes great clam chowder, and I was pretty sure I remembered or could figure out how to make it. But still, no clams. Then I thought of corn chowder. I have corn! The kids agreed that corn chowder was acceptable, so I decided to give it a shot.

It turned out great! Definitely made me wish I'd made enough for leftovers. Tasty, easy, and ready in 30 minutes - that's a success in my cookbook. :)



Ingredients:
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
2 cups diced potatoes
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Montreal Chicken seasoning
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp lemon pepper
1/4 tsp cumin
2 cups frozen or canned corn
3/4 cup + 1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup flour

Directions:
Add broth, water, and potatoes to saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes (or until potatoes are tender). Add seasonings; mix well. Add corn and 3/4 cup milk. Combine flour and 1/4 cup milk and whip until smooth. Add milk and flour to soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.

Serve with garnish of cheese, bacon bits, or whatever tickles your fancy.
(For example, my kids chose Cheez-Its. And as it turns out, that actually tastes pretty good!)

No comments: