Thursday, August 30, 2012

Unexpected Humor

The morning bus driver on my route is very nice guy. He's an older gentleman with a bit of a Southern accent and is unfailingly polite (even to some passengers who deserve less). He calls everyone sir or ma'am and is just very pleasant in general. However, he's also a little stiff and formal. He doesn't chat and joke around with passengers as many bus drivers do. Which is fine! Nothing wrong with it, but it did make this morning's humor a little surprising. He must have been in a really good mood today. :)

Just after we'd started the route we were stopped at a red light. I was shifting my backpack to a better position on my lab and accidentally caught and pulled the Stop cord, signalling that I wanted to get off the bus. "Sorry!" I exclaimed. "That was an accident."

He smiled at me, then said: "I'm sorry, ma'am, but you pulled the cord. You'll have to get off. No work for you today." He even opened the door while we were stopped at the light. Luckily he then laughed and closed the door again. I was able to stay on the bus.

A few minutes later, we saw one of the morning regulars sprinting to make it to a bus stop in time. Knowing he was coming, our driver stopped and waited for him. When the man breathlessly climbed aboard, our driver offered the completely deadpan comment: "Thank you for participating in the RTD a.m. fitness program. If you'd like to join the p.m. program as well, I can arrange to have you dropped off at the wrong stop this afternoon for a long walk home."

Okay, seeing it typed up I guess it's not quite as funny. Maybe you had to be there. But it helped me start my morning with a laugh!

No comments: