Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Kids TV is Educational... and Irritating

My kiddos watch TV. Too much of it. But I like to think that I'm at least mitigating the effects of too much TV by at least ensuring that they watch more of the educational programming (think Magic School Bus and Dino Dan) and less of the junk (like Spongebob and Amazing World of Gumball).

But since Rylen started staying home with me, it seems like kids' TV is on almost all the time so that he can entertain himself while I'm working. Which means that I get exposed to a lot of more kids' TV than I used to. And I've noticed that when I am exposed to too much children's TV, I grow irrationally hostile toward the characters.

For example, during the recent episode of Handy Manny where Manny and the tools are trying to decide what they should put in the town's time capsule, I kept thinking: "Maybe you should put that annoying wrench Rusty in there so we don't have to listen to him whine anymore." And then picturing the scene as they slowly lowered the lid to the box to trap him inside for the next 100 years.




I've also continued thinking about the characters' back stories. I used to think that Handy Manny was the only one who could "hear" the voices of the talking tools. (Kids' TV: Now with Schizophrenia and Cross-Dressing)

I've since re-evaluated this, because too many people in town have started holding conversations with the tools. Now I think that Manny is talking for the tools. Picture bad ventriloquism with Manny making the tools move around and talk to each other and the townspeople.


I spend way too much time thinking about this stuff instead of working. Not to mention making graphics to support my theories. ;)

And people wonder why I have to stay up all night to get things done...

No comments: