Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Everyday Heroes

I read Rosa's post yesterday about the man who helped her when the van wouldn't start, and it made me think about the people who help us in everyday life. They're just normal people like us who take the time to help a friend or a stranger. So I'm starting my own TAG post... I want to hear about and everyday hero who has helped you!

Here's mine...

When I was 5 or 6 months pregnant with Haley, Aaron and I were driving to Las Vegas for a convention for his work. We were driving the big work truck loaded down with all kinds of music and accessories to be sold at the convention. As we drove across the San Rafael Swell, a tire blew. If you're not familiar with the area, I'll tell you that there is NOTHING out there. It's hot (I think it was August) and dry and very, very empty. And as it turns out, there is no cell-phone service.

We tried to change the tire, but in the unfamiliar vehicle, we couldn't figure out how to release the spare tire. The truck was so loaded down and heavy, we didn't know if we would be able to jack it up, even if we got the tire off. I don't know how long we were out there trying to figure out what to do next. It seemed like a VERY long time. We tried to flag down someone to help, but cars were few and far between and those who did pass... just kept passing by.

Finally, someone did stop. It was a semi-truck. Another semi going the other way had seen us and radioed to anyone heading our way. Given the advance notice, this trucker was keeping an eye out and when he saw us he pulled over. He couldn't change the tire, either, but he agreed to give us a ride to the next town. So Aaron and I got to ride in the semi! It was pretty neat, actually.

The trucker took us to the next town, then set us up in the trucker's lounge at the rest stop so I could rest (I was feeling very rough by this point). He hung around until he was sure we'd found a tire service to help us take care of the truck. Neither of the truckers involved needed to help us out in any way, and the man who stopped probably put himself behind schedule to help us. But all these years later I still think of him fondly and am so grateful that he took the time to help someone else.

Now it's your turn! Tell me about an everyday hero in your life!

3 comments:

Druciana said...

I think it is great that there are people still out there that are willing to help. Channel 7 does their "Everyday Hero" awards, but that is just for the people that are out in the community giving service. The people that just stop once in a while don't get nearly the recognition they deserve!

Tera said...

That was very kind of him to help. You may have read about my hero in the airport on my latest trip to California. If you haven't, it's a good story. Just scroll down on my blog to March or so!

Amy said...

Good idea. I'll follow up on this tag soon.