Thursday, April 2, 2009

Dinner Time Revisited

If you caught the post a week or so ago about the stuffed shells I made for the kids' dinner (http://5shields.blogspot.com/2009/03/dinner-time.html), you saw that it was not a hit with them. But Aaron and I thought it was pretty good.

So I took the recipe and tweked it a little bit to turn it into a more grown-up recipe.

It was really good! And fairly easy.

Boil some jumbo shells until they are slightly less than al dente. (You'll finish the dish in the oven, so that's when the shells cook the rest of the way. It's also easier to stuff them without tearing them if they're a little firm.)

Make your filling. I did a simple turkey salad... just shred the turkey, add a touch of mayonaisse and I threw in some peas for color and to get some vegetables. You could easily do it with chicken salad, egg salad, or a ground beef mixture. Whatever sounds good to you!

Put a spoonful of filling into each shell and arrange the shells in a baking pan. I made a quick white sauce (you can find a recipe for that by doing a quick Google search). You could also buy a store-bought white sauce or an alfredo sauce. I poured the sauce over the shells then sprinkled them with parmesan cheese and some black pepper.

Put the dish in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes... just to let the cheese melt and all the flavors meld.

It was REALLY good! The kids still didn't like it, but Aaron and I did.

No comments: