Monday, January 5, 2009

My New Laptop


For a while now I've been wanting a laptop to make it easier to work from home, during offsite meetings, or so I can work while we're travelling (so I don't have to use as many vacation days). Last week we started seeing TV ads for the "Mega Liquidation Sale" - picture lots of shouting and flashing tacky graphics.

Anyway, on these commercials they were advertising laptops for only $199. On Saturday we decided to go check out the sale and see if they actually had anything for that price.

Well, no. I guess that was to be expected. The sale started Friday morning and we didn't go until late Saturday afternoon. But they did have a few laptops for $350. While I was looking at one of them, one of the guys running the booth came over and realized that the laptop was actually much higher-end than the rest of the $350 laptops and was underpriced. He agreed to still sell it for $350, then threw in anti-virus software and the full MS Office suite... still for $350! So we took it. The more I find out, the more I learn that we got a REALLY good deal. Here's the review I found for my new laptop...

"Dell has brought together the best components it could find, and combined them in the most powerful system imaginable. ... The only reason you could possibly justify the need for this type of performance in a laptop is if you are working on high-detail, technical 3D modelling, perhaps visiting clients or displaying sensitive information of a technical nature that you don't want to copy and distribute. The professional slant is reflected in its price. As configured, our review model ran to $5120."

So woo-hoo on the $350 price tag for us!!

No comments: