Friday, June 5, 2009

Works for Me Wednesday

PROBLEM: My kids love to draw with sidewalk chalk. But due to Preston's habit of running out into the street at random moments, I don't like to let them go out in the front yard to draw on the sidewalk or driveway. I'm always worried that Preston will get into the road before I can catch him. And even though we live on a mostly quiet street, we do have a few neighbors who like to drive down to get their mail and go too fast for comfort.


SOLUTION: In our backyard, we have an old picnic table. If you know Aaron, you probably know that he doesn't enjoy the outdoors... so the picnic table is almost never used. Trying to convince Aaron to go have dinner at the picnic table and enjoy the evening outside pretty much never works. So I came up with another use for the picnic table.

I bought chalkboard paint at the Home Depot - around $4 for a spray can of paint. I covered the picnic table with the chalkboard paint and now the kids can draw with their sidewalk chalk while safely contained in the backyard! And if I should ever convince Aaron to come eat outside, we can just throw a tablecloth over the chalky picnic table.


So that's what's working for me. To see what works for others, head over to http://www.wearethatfamily.com/ for more WFMW ideas!

5 comments:

Druciana said...

What a great idea! I probably would have never thought of it.

Melissa said...

Now that is a stinkin' awesome idea. Genius, really. Now I just need an old picnic table!

Tera said...

I think that has to be the best/most creative and practical idea I've heard in a while. You are quite the genius! I'll have to think of something I have that could be turned into a chalkboard!

Unknown said...

That's an awesome tip!

Niki Jolene said...

Amazing idea! I really want to get some of that spraypaint kind and use it in my classroom somehwere.

:)