Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Sad day...

We're sad at our house today. Our kitty George (blue George, as opposed to his brother silver George) is 11 years old, which is getting up there for a cat. He's always been very healthy, but over the weekend he suddenly went downhill. He started throwing up, was very lethargic, wouldn't eat or drink, and lost almost 3 pounds in a matter of 3 days... when you have a cat who only weighs 7 pounds to start with, 3 pounds is a lot to lose.

When we took him to the vet on Monday, we discovered that he had developed hyperthroid and kidney disease. Apparently, cats with kidney disease rarely show any symptoms until it hits a critical level, at which point they crater abruptly. So George is in almost complete kidney failure and they're trying to give him enough fluids and IV therapy to turn things around enough for him to come home again.

Unfortunately, the diagnosis of kidney disease is fatal, it's just a matter of how long he has any quality of life. Still waiting to hear from the vet on what they're thinking on that...

It probably seems silly to be all upset like this over a cat, but for me, I've had the cat longer than I've had my husband! Aaron just loves all cats, so it's upsetting for him. And of course the kids have known George all their lives, so Haley and Preston are quite upset and missing him a lot.

4 comments:

Mistaken said...

I'm so sorry about George. I too have lost a two beloved cats and felt silly about crying so hard etc. One of my cats also died from kidney failure. I had him for 15 years. I made John give him a blessing to heal him, I was so upset.
I'm very sorry for you and your family. My kids take comfort in that they get to have them again someday.

Druciana said...

I'm sorry about your kitty. I'm sure it feels like you are losing a family member.

Tera said...

I'm so sorry for you guys. When we had to have our puppy put down because of kidney failure, it was the hardest on the kids. It's been almost six months, and at least once a week, someone prays for her and cries that they miss her. Good luck!

Melissa said...

So sorry, Tara. That is a long time for a pet to be a part of your family!