Monday, September 27, 2010

Odds and Ends

Nothing big and important to blog about... just a few things that came up over the last few days.

Megan introduced me to Bountiful Baskets. It's a food co-op where you can get a nice big basket of fruits and veggies for only $15! My kids love fruit of all kinds, and we all ought to eat more veggies, so I decided to give it a try. I'm quite excited by the amount and variety we got... though I'm still trying to figure out just what I will do with the okra.


Look at all this! Apples, bananas, plums, peaches, pears, celery, broccoli, lettuce, squash, onions, the aforementioned okra. Plus I got 5 good-sized loaves of multi-grain bread for an exrta $10. The kids have already devoured all the bananas and made good inroads on the peaches, plums, and apples. We're working on the veggies, too. I tried introducing the kids to celery with peanut butter for a bedtime snack last night. They all hated the celery (I can't blame them, I hate celery too! Good thing Aaron likes it) and ended up just licking the peanut butter from the middle. :)



Brekken loves shoes. All shoes. But especially shoes that are way too big for him. He put on a pair of my pumps and clomped around yesterday... very pleased with himself that he was wearing Mommy Shoes. LOL


I think if you click on the picture it will show you a larger version. It's Haley's homework and I just had to get a copy. If you can't read it, it says:

"My mommy has a baby in her tumy. it is a boy. we have baby boy close. some times I can fell it moveing. we are going to have his cute baby picsure on our wall."


In other news... we had our ward Primary program yesterday and my class did so well! They all behaved beautifully and even got up and sang a little group solo without a sign of nervousness. As a reward for all their work on the program, we took it easy in class and just had a coloring day. They colored some gospel art pictures and we had a little treat. It was a nice reward for me, too! And I discovered that when I don't actually try to teach a lesson and stuff, class time is actually not exhausting. Too bad that won't work every week. ;)



I had to take a bathroom break at one point during Primary. I left my class in sharing time and told them to behave and I'd be right back. (I felt fairly safe doing this, since there were other teachers who could step in if needed.) Made me laugh when I got to the ladies room and met up with 2 other pregnant ladies with due dates right about the same time as my own! Apparently we've all reached the point where bathroom breaks are frequently needed.

One of the other ladies and I chatted a little and discovered that we've got some interesting similarities and differences. While we're both supposed to be taking it easy because of early contractions and other issues and we're both due close to the same time, she has too little amniotic fluid and a baby who is a bit too small for gestational age. So they'll watch her closely to be sure her baby doesn't need to come early. On the flip side of things, I have too MUCH amniotic fluid and my baby is a bit too large for gestational age. Due to the extra fluid and the fast-growing baby, I'm measuring around 36 weeks, instead of the 31 weeks that I actually am. So they'll watch me closely for preterm labor too. (The extra fluid and big baby stretch the uterus a bit and can fool the body into thinking it's time to deliver when it really isn't.) Nothing profound there, just thought it was interesting that we're having exactly opposite issues - as the 3rd pregnant lady in the room commented, the two of us just really need to be able to combine the pregnancies to even things out into a couple of average pregnancies. ;)

1 comment:

Katie said...

You are the second person I have heard about the Bountiful Harvest basket from. Where did you go to get it? The produce looks great, and I know I spent more than $15 for less at the store this morning. Just to give you hope, my kids used to do the same thing with the celery and peanut butter, but I recently tried it again, and they all loved it!

Also, I was wondering after we talked yesterday, is there a root cause for the excess fluid? Are there other issues associated with it besides preterm labor? (I am really fascinated by all these weird problems that we can have-- maybe that's because I have so many of them!)