Monday, September 13, 2010

Sunday is a day of rest?

So yesterday I made a real effort to get everyone dressed and ready and out the door early enough to make it to Sacrament meeting on time for a change. (Our usual method is to show up late enough that we end up in the foyer instead of the chapel. ) But yesterday I was really trying... we were still late. We did at least make it before the Sacrament and sat in the chapel instead of the foyer.

I made more effort than I usually do lately because a group of us were doing a musical number and I wanted to be there to touch base with everyone before the meeting. That didn't happen, but luckily the rest of the group was more on the ball. Especially since, as they started passing the Sacrament, I suddenly realized that I had left the stack of sheet music back home. Immediate panic! Was there time to send Aaron racing home to get it? Did we know the song well enough without it? Would someone else have a copy and could we get the library open - in the middle of Sacrament meeting - to make copies for everyone? As soon as the Sacrament was done, I slipped over to Megan to see if she'd brought a copy (I had been bringing the music each week, but a couple of people kept copies to practice at home.) She did not have a copy, but said that they'd met briefly before the meeting and a couple of others did bring copies. Relief! But I still missed most of what the first speaker said because I was busy worrying over whether we really had enough music. I knew the pianist had her own copy. If there was only 1 extra copy, could the flute and violin players stand behind the piano player and look over her shoulder so the singers could share the one set of sheet music? Luckily, there were 4 copies there - so we had one for the violin and flute, and a few to share around the singers.

I'm admittedly biased, but I thought the number sounded really good from where I was standing. Aaron (also biased) said it sounded good from his seat, too. :)

Next was Primary and time to practice for the Primary program. For some reason, I had it in my head that it would be a pretty easy day, since I didn't have to teach a lesson. Turns out that trying to keep 7 4-year-olds settled and on track for 2 hours of practice is really tiring. One of my kids (Brynna - I love that girl!) was a perfect angel. Always sitting still, paying attention, not fidgety. It was very impressive. Not to say that the others were bad! They were really one of the best behaved classes, I think. But they are 4 & 5 years old. Trying to sit still and pay attention for that long was just not easy for them. By the time church was over, I was exhausted and sick. I went home and just collapsed on the bed for awhile to recover.

Next week we have a break for stake conference, but the following week is really not going to be fun. We have an hour and a half of practice on Saturday - which Aaron can't attend because he has to work, so I'm going to have to wrangle all 3 of my kids, plus my Primary kids. Then on Sunday we have the actual program. After which, we have to go to Primary and still teach the kids for 2 hours, including a lesson. Yuck. Oh well, I'll focus first on enjoying the break next week!


Health Update (mostly for my mother-in-law, who asked me to keep her updated via the blog - feel free to skip the rest of my complaining) :)

Still dealing with the pregnancy-induced hypertension. I'm hanging out around 130/75, which is not too bad overall, but fairly high for me (my baseline is around 100/60). So enough to give me a headache, dizzyness, shakes, and nausea a lot of the time. But the bloodwork is coming back okay, so it's still PIH, not pre-eclampsia. Good news there!

Also still dealing with the irritable uterus. That's a good term for it, I've decided, because it makes me irritable! I pretty much have constant cramping - I feel like my stomach is always tied in a hard knot. But I'm trying to avoid doing things that bring on worse cramping or contractions (you know, things like walking, or reaching for things ) and sometimes it helps a little. Aaron pointed out the other day that I never had any contractions with the 1st two pregnancies (literally never - that's why I had to be induced both times), and almost none with the 3rd until I actually went into labor, so this time around I'm making up for it with all the contractions I should have had all along! LOL The good news there is that it doesn't seem to be changing my cervix, so it's just annoying, not dangerous. I have another ultrasound next week to double-check baby's size and the cervix to be sure all is well.

Working at home a couple of days a week is helping. I was able to spend a lot of time with my feet up at the end of the week and over the weekend, and as a result, my feet are almost normal today! Always a good day when I can fit my feet into my regular shoes for a change. :)

2 comments:

Katie said...

I thought the musical number sounded great as well-- sorry you were stressing about it the whole time! Glad to hear things are okay with the pregnancy. I wanted to talk to you yesterday to make sure you were doing okay, but...

Tera said...

Well, you are now my favorite primary teacher cuz of the little shout out for Brynna! I hope she really is good for you. I'm being honest in saying that I hate teaching primary, so my heart goes out to all primary teachers. It is an extremely tough calling and takes people with a lot of patience and love! Thanks for teaching her, she loves your class!