Monday, April 11, 2011

30 Posts: Day 28


Day 28 - A picture of something that makes you happy.


As I was on my way to work this morning, I was thinking about the blog. Specifically this blog post about something that makes me happy. As with several of these posts, I had a hard time settling on one thing. There's my family - they make me happy. And my job - most of the time it makes me happy, too. And of course, my Kindle. ;) Really, a lot of things make me happy. I tend to be a fairly happy person overall.


I got on the bus and settled in, and it hit me. The bus makes me happy. I know a lot of people don't especially like public transportation, but I really enjoy riding the bus to work.


Chronically sleep-deprived as I am, the bus is my refuge. Especially on a chilly, dark morning like today, I love to get on the warm bus. I take a regional bus, so it has the nice tall seats where you can rest your head back and really relax. The rumbling of the engine makes the seat vibrate until it's almost like a massage chair. The engine rumbling also makes some nice white noise - white noise always relaxes me. The lights are off, so it's nice and dark. I sit back and close my eyes and nap for the hour it takes to drive to town. On days that I have to drive in for some reason, I really miss the chance for that extra bit of sleep in the morning.


The afternoon ride is nice, too. I generally read for a little while. It's nice to have that time to myself to read a book when I know that I don't have to interrupt to do something for someone else. That's my "me" time. And if I get a little drowsy, I can always turn off my book and take another nap. (Luckily I get off at the last stop both ways, so even if I didn't wake up the driver would kick me off at the end of the line.)


And of course, the fact that my company pays for the bus pass so I'm riding for free makes it all even better. So as odd as it sounds, I guess the bus is my happy place.

No comments: