Thursday, June 2, 2011

Comfort Food At It's Finest

This is a prompt from Mama Kat's Pretty Much World Famous Writer's Workshop. It's a fun way to come up with blog topics, and I've been reading the prompts for a while. Now I'm finally getting around to actually responding to a prompt and I'm writing about:

Comfort food at its finest. Share a family favorite recipe you loved as a child.

The one that came to mind was tacos. We had tacos pretty frequently growing up. They're easy, pretty inexpensive, and all 6 kids were willing to eat them. No wonder we ate tacos a lot!

Our taco recipe was pretty simple. Cook ground beef, add taco seasoning. Spoon beef into a flour tortilla or crunchy taco shell. Top with cheese and lettuce. Add ketchup.

That's right, ketchup. For some reason we always put ketchup on our tacos! I don't know where that started, but that's just the way we always ate tacos.

These days, I cringe at the thought. I guess I've become a taco snob. Plus, I don't like ketchup!

And yet... I remember how much I always loved those tacos. Maybe I'll have to try it again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say, the thought of ketchup on a taco caught me up. I guess I'm a taco snob too. But, kids will be kids. Maybe you would still like it?!

Meri Musingly said...

Love tacos, not a big fan of ketchup!

Designing With Dakota said...

What a great memory. I can't imagine tolerating ketchup on tacos either. Must be a kid thing. I know mine does honey mustard on just about everything, and she's 18!!

Mom Went Crazy said...

Ketchup on tacos?? Cringe.
Tacos are probably my favourite supper!!
Maybe tomorrow will be taco night!