Monday, February 13, 2012

I Know My Kids Really Love Me

Thanks to Supahmama for her link to new writing prompts! Hopefully it will help me out of my blogging slump. :) And on that note, today's prompt is courtesy of Mama Kat's Pretty Much World Famous Writer's Workshop.

I know my kids really love me, because they feel free to be themselves. Sometimes I hear from their teachers or a babysitter or friends about how well-behaved my children are. They are polite and friendly and don't beat the crap out of each other at the drop of a hat. And I have to think to myself: "Who are these well-behaved pod-people impersonating my children and how can I get them to come to my house?"

Because at my house, my children are less polite. They feel free to express themselves.

Sometimes through words (I hate you! ...but sometimes, I love you. You're stupid! ...but sometimes, You're the best mommy.).

Sometimes through artistic expression (such as the water and toilet paper sculptures currently found in my bathtub and the modern art masterpiece drawn in deodorant on the bathroom door ...but also through sweet stories and pictures showing a loving family life).

Sometimes through their actions (by stopping just short of ACTUALLY murdering a sibling, though you'd never guess that from the blood-curdling screams that ring through the house... but also through hugs and kisses and just wanting to be together - sometimes too together. For Pete's sake, could I just have 5 minutes with no one touching me! Oops, sorry... slipped into a whole separate rant, there.).

So even though sometimes I wish those well-behaved pod people would make themselves at home in my home, I love my kids just the way they are. Rock-hard toilet paper sculptures stuck to my tub and ruined deodorant and all.

2 comments:

Tera said...

I have those kind of children too. Take comfort in knowing that my kids have alter ego's in other peoples homes too!

Tiffany said...

SIGH, toilet paper sculptures. So glad my kids weren't the first to invent this (or the only ones who participate in this art form.)

Happy you were able to find inspiration!!! I swoop in with my cape and sparkly tights and, BAM, blog posts are born. :)